Sunday, May 9, 2010

Site Assignments

Happy Mothers´Day to all the moms out there.

So this past week was our last week in Ojojona doing Field Based Training. We are all back in Zarabanda for one week left in training as a whole, then we´re all off to our sites in different parts of the country. Most of us are heading for the West, since there seems to be the most need there. This past Wednesday was "site assignment day," in which they told us where we are going to be spending the next two years of our lives. Our training director taped masking tape down on the floor of our meeting room in the shape of a big Honduran map and placed placcards where all the sites were, then made us wait as he called our names for where we were going.

I lucked out and got everything that I wanted in a site. And, in my opinion, I got the coolest place in the whole group! I will be in San Luis Planes, Santa Barbara, a town of about 1400 people an hour and a half from the department capital (Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara). I wanted a small site because it would be safer, friendlier, and easier to get "integrated," this mystical term that people throw around all the time. I will be working with a coffee cooperative there, helping with bookkeeping and best practices. I was pushing for a coffee coop all during training, and cant wait to start. Ill also be helping out in the local school giving English and computer classes to students and teachers, hoping for "sustainability." What´s more, is that there is a lot of room for developing tourism there. The cool part about my site is that Im very close to Lake Yojoa, the largest lake in the country. Plus, Im in the mountains that pertain to a national park where famous cloud forests are found. Lots of hiking in my future.

Cant wait to start. Much love from Honduras. See you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment