Monday, April 25, 2011

Cave and Sinkhole Exploring

Two weeks ago I went cave exploring with a group of local guides. Although there were times when I was certain I was going to slip on the mud and lose my grip and fall down holes, I got to go into some really awesome caves. One was down a fairly steep slanted wall that dropped down onto a level chamber probably the length of two football fields, at the end of which was a lake that went deep and probably connected to another room on the other side. There were bats and cave crabs and those creepy cave arachnids. We also saw deep and scary sinkholes. The ecotourism committee hopes to soon put in a better trail to get there. It was one of my coolest Peace Corps moments thus far, hands down.
1. Crazy cave arachnids (this one dead)












2. The cave entrance, looking up


















3. Some of the endless examples of interesting stalagtite formations
















4. An immense sinkhole. Fall in and you won't make it out.


















5. A cool tree on the way to the caves.

No comments:

Post a Comment